Is the Heavenly City possible? -no, but always an end goal or aspiration
Are masculine video gamers the reason why men are so heavily invested in technology, male archetypes? -male history in military, male action heroes
Nomads, but always in touch? true statement? -never alone online commenting on threads: is it productive and helping to form communities or not?
Multiple Disciplines invested in cyberspace? - psychological development - economics, profitability - medicine, Web MD, New England Journal of Medicine
Jenkins Reading*Convergence- collide of new and old media, big and small media, producer/consumer interactions, coming together of culture, technology, people, jumping across spaces, multiple sources usually same content
- Crowd-Sourcing- algorithm that predicts what you’re going to want to search/buy
- Collective intelligence- working together for the common good. Pushes past the barriers of one person’s abilities. Enact democracy. Spoiler community.
- Survivor: potential for collective intelligence
- is it democratic?
- it has rules on the forum, people get mad at ChillOne
- everyone has the right to do what they want in their free time, some people choose to spoil Survivor
- motivation: love researching, academic fulfillment, endeavor, need for competition
- bad example of collective intelligence: stock market insider trading. we don’t have standards for conduct online yet.
- American Idol Chapter
- Affective economics- play with emotions, condition product loyalty.
- vertical integration- when advertisers group things according to the show, integrating the advertisements. commercials aren’t appealing anymore so they have to go inside the show to attract consumers or affect them subconsciously
- Interactivity, Active participation- you can control somewhat the vote by voting more than once
Writing for the Internet *People process slower and differently on the Web
- Audiences: academic vs web-based
- ACADEMIC~ limited circulation- technical and expert diction
- stylistic conventions specific to discipline
- obtuse/passive can be accepted
- deliberate nuanced linear structure
- depth achieved in writing
**WEB-BASED- broad circulation, memes, general diction/hyperlinks, clarity and brevity privileged
- low scroll tolerance online
- create nodes
- scanability (Z pattern)
- Rule #1- Chunking, everything in alignment
- Rule #2- Using keywords with bold. use sparingly
- Rule #3- readers can get more depth with hyperlinks or references, use Yahoo Style Guide
- Rule #4- usability- embed video only if useful, diction only if it advances the text