Reaction to Tron 3 main questions *What’s interesting about tron? (limitlessness of technology, grow stronger than humans, Nazi Germany)
- emotionality and sentience of programs, attachment of humans to programs
- continuum of user → programs... Was the girl’s actions cheating or are there two separate identities because of user and programs
- Issues about Tron?
- special effects: do they really add to the plot?
- narrative: time-frame, was their mission restricted by time? how did time play a role in the plot?
- Transmedia storytelling?
- what does it add or take away? video game and film
- makes you more invested in what you’re watching
- adds excitement to the game, can picture the programs doing these races
Transmedia storytelling~ telling a story through and across multiple forms of media. Each media is a self-contianed unit but should also add to the whole experience. Selling a world and protes active viewer participation.
Media/Medium: means of communicating a message across a platform. Chair, TV, Radio, Internet
New Media: media that promotes interactivity, Web 2.0 software
Cyberculture: culture as a result of fast communication, artifacts that are created by the displacement of world 3 (monuments, social structures)
Convergence: assimilation of technology across multiple technologies
Black Box Fallacy: convergence is content based not technology based. There are multiple black boxes, will not converge into one giant black box
Collective Intelligence: sum > parts, red balloon finding, survivor spoiling
Affective Economics: based on emotional needs of consumers → purchasing goods.
Participation/Interactivity: more passive, not related to technology whereas interactivity is using technology to become active participants
Crowd Sourcing: crowd habits to predict consumer purchasing... Customers like you also purchased...
Literacy Studies *prevalent in many fields
- relative, tool, performative, proficiency, partial, oral, written
Computer +communication *Walter Ong’s second orality, both written and oral communication, but he thinks written is more advanced.
- Electronic communication shares traits of both
- Always On by _______
Cyberliteracy is about... *electronic literacy- beyond word shortcuts
- understanding technology’s increased reach
- cyberlitearcy is not a neutral value- where do we draw a line?
- knowing how to do things, but its also about consciousness
- performative, ability to communciate
- going beyond being a user → active participant of the web
Cyberliteracy- is both the ability to implement technical knowledge and understand the implications of our actions, and interact with people. *4 things that allow for compression of time and space
- casualness of literate practices
- redundancy and repetitiveness
- redundancy is getting same messages by multiple sources
- repetitiveness is when sources that cycle through messages on face book, will disappear for a while then resurface
- global village
- lack of gatekeeping
- visual reach
- authorship and ownership
- gender and sex
- ecommerce and connections to consumers
- access to inner circle
- ability to talk back
- two-way presence